Many young people care about the environment. They want to protect it, but don’t always know about local opportunities for them to get involved and make a difference.
Their involvement matters because it:
- connects young people to their communities and gives a sense of place
- develops personal skills and leadership qualities
- creates a new generation of switched on environmental citizens
- increases project opportunities for youth organisations and schools
- promotes active living and personal health.
How do we engage with young people?
Are you planning a program that involves young people in the environment, or looking to improve an existing program through greater youth participation?
Find out how in Action Matters for Young People – the result of a collaborative effort between young people and representatives from over 70 environmental and youth organisations, schools, universities and local governments.
Examples of successful engagement
Hear what young people from different youth organisations had to say about the importance of caring for the environment at a Taronga Zoo workshop: