Environmental educators' networks provide forums for educators, state and local government, community groups and other organisations, to share resources, ideas and information.
Local networks are often coordinated by local government or Environmental Education Centres. Membership is generally open with schools rotating responsibility for hosting an after school meeting once a term. Guest speakers are invited to attend to present on a particular issue or theme. Members communicate through council websites, newsletters, emails and other social networking forums.
Regional networks in Sydney
- Blacktown - Blacktown Sustainable Schools Network - available to all primary and secondary school teachers working at schools in Blacktown City and interested parents who want to get more involved in supporting environmental initiatives at their child's school.
- Blue Mountains -Blue Mountains Schools Environment Network.
- Camden, Campbelltown and Wollondilly – Macarthur Sustainability and Environmental EDucators (SEED) Network – for teachers in the Macarthur School Education groups.
- Canterbury Bankstown - Welcomes educators in all schools and non-government organisations promoting environmental education in the community. Email David.
- City of Canada Bay -City of Canada Bay Sustainability Schools Network - for primary and secondary schools in the City of Canada Bay Council area. Visit their website for more information or phone (02) 99116411.
- Cumberland Council - Contact Rita
- Eastern Suburbs Sustainable Schools Network - Welcomes teachers, students and parents. Website.
- Hawkesbury - Hawkesbury Environmental Education Network (HEEN) - for teachers, youth workers and other educators in the Hawkesbury local government area.
- Hills Shire Council area -The Schools Green Network- for all teachers from schools in or near the Hills Shire Council local government area. Meetings generally held on Tuesday in Week 3 of each school term.
- Hornsby Ku-ring-gai NEST Network for Environmental & Sustainability Teachers - Join like-minded primary and secondary teachers from local schools to explore the areas of environmental education, sustainability, Aboriginal education, kitchen gardens, school environment groups and teaching outside. Meetings are held once a term. For more information please contact Gibberagong EEC
- Hunters Hill/Lane Cove - Hunters Hill/Lane Cove Green Schools Network - for all teachers from schools in the Hunters Hill and Lane Cove Council local government area.
- Inner West Council - Inner West Sustainable Schools Network (IWSSN) - for all teachers, educators and P&C's from early childhood, primary and high schools in the Inner West Council area. Contact Anne
- North Sydney -Sustainability Educators North Sydney (SENS) - for teachers from schools in the North Sydney local government area. More information is available from their website.
- Northern Rivers Sustainable Schools Network - Contact Debbie
- Parramatta - Parramatta EnviroSchools Network - for primary and secondary teachers, other educators, P&C and interested parents in the Parramatta LGA.
- Pittwater - Pittwater Environmental Educators' Network - for all teachers (DEC, Private and Catholic) in the Northern Beaches area.
- Penrith - Penrith Sustainable Schools Network - an e-network run by Penrith Council.
- Ryde -Ryde Environmental Educators Network (REEN) - for all teachers and educators in the Council area who are interested in Sustainability Education (can include TAFE, child-care and University staff, parents, etc.).
- St George - including Bayside Council St George Environmental Education Network.
- Southern Sydney -Southern Sydney Environmental Education Network.
- South-western Sydney - Sustainability and Environmental Educators.
- Waverley, Woollahra and Randwick - Eastern Suburbs Sustainable Schools Network - welcomes teachers, students and parents from three council areas.
- Willoughby - Willoughby Environmental and Sustainability Education Network.
- Wollongong - Wollongong Environment Network (WEN) supporting Wollongong Catholic Diocesan schools across K-12. WEN meets once per term. Visit the website for more details.
Regional networks outside Sydney
- Bellingen/Nambucca Sustainable Schools Network, supported by Midwaste, Bellingen Shire Council, Nambucca Shire Council and Sustainable Schools NSW, contact Sustainable Schools NSW
- Central Coast -Central Coast Environmental Education Network- for schools, community and agency educators.
- Cessnock City Council - Contact Tricia
- Coffs Harbour Sustainable Schools Network - a sustainable schools network for teachers at pre-schools, child care centres, primary and high schools in the Coffs Harbour Local Government Area. Please contact Jessica
- Hunter - Hunter Schools Environmental Network HSEN , supported by Wetlands & Awabakal EEC, contact Peter Jones from Wetlands ECC for more Hunter information.
- Hunter - Regional Sustainability Educators Network, for government, community and school environmental educators, contact Angus
- Illawarra - Environmental Educators' Network - connecting teachers in Wollongong, Kiama and Shellharbour.
- Lake Macquarie - contact Pamela Baker at Lake Macquaire Council
- Macleay - Macleay Sustainable Schools Network welcomes local teachers and early childhood educators wanting to network and share ideas about school sustainability.
- MidNorth Coast - Sustainability Education Network (MNCSEN) includes environmental educators, local and state government educators and teachers.
- MidCoast Sustainable Schools Network - In the MidCoast Council area, MSSN is supported by Midwaste, MidCoast Council and SSNSW, contact Sustainable Schools NSW
- Northern Rivers - For schools from Grafton to the Queensland border, contact the Northern Rivers Group of the Environmental Educators.
- Northern Tablelands and North-West - Contact Matt McKenzie from the Thalgarrah Environmental Education Centre, Armidale.
- Riverina Environmental Educators Network - Contact Erin Earth
- South-East NSW - Sapphire Coast Regional Science Hub Sustainability Education Network, Contact Bournda EEC
- Southern Tablelands - Wingecarribee/Wollondilly group of Sustainability and Environmental Educators (SEED). Contact Luke
- Western Rivers Environmental Educators Network (WREEN) - for environmental educators, sustainability officers, resource efficiency and renewable energy experts and all those interested in preserving the natural values of central western NSW for future generations. Contact Jen
- Wingecarribee Schools Network - Contact Joe
- The Australian Association for Environmental Education is a national professional body with a NSW chapter. Its vision is to “connect through education to advance understandings and action in relation to environmental and sustainability issues across all communities and education sectors”.